Mark speaks French like an American bison, but...

How long has it been since Mark moved to France and started to take French lessons? Yeah, I thought so...

Anyway, despite his many failings as a French speaker, Mark can whip up mean poetry in Frenglish, as he did on the occasion of our wedding:

Long, long ago… in a country not too far away,
I met Pierre-Luc, un jeune garçon with a lot to say.
He used a form of English not often spoken
Perhaps because his favorite teacher had been JRR Tolkien.

Pierre-Luc was the very first French person I had ever met
And he left a strange impression since he did not enjoy wine just yet.
When touring the campagne, passing vineyards here and there
He would tell me: “Hum, je prendrais bien une petite bière!”

After Pierre-Luc’s short stay in Washington, D.C.
He went back to Paris to finish his Degree.
Pierre-Luc then showed me Paris for the very first time as well:
La Seine, Jardin du Luxembourg et la Tour Eiffel.
We rented a car and après cinq minutes, ou peut-être juste trois,
He had to say to a policeman: “ce feu, c’était pour moi?”

Now we are both in Paris,
And for both of us a new phase in life has started
“Je parle même un petite peu français parfois”,
Though I know I often sound retarded.

Pierre-Luc, we all see the true love you have found with Guillemette
I’ve never seen you so happy, and you even learned to use a Gillette!

So, please raise a glass with me for Mme & M. Paour,
We wish you the grandest félicitations and beaucoup d’Amour!
I know I was moved when he delivered this without sounding the least bit retarded. Ah, yes, it was mostly in English :-)

Mark, I guess your next best hope for becoming fluent will be when Léna becomes a teenager and you can no longer understand what she says in English.

Happy 40th!

No comments:

Post a Comment